News & Events
COVID-19: Government Assistance
With the roll-out of the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), we’ve compiled some information resources that could be helpful to people applying for government assistance. We will update this page as more programs are rolled out and updates to the existing programs are issued.
Canada Emergency Response Benefit
This is a program that provides a taxable benefit of $2,000 a month for up to 4 months to eligible workers who have lost their income because of the COVID-19 crisis.
There are two ways to apply for CERB:
1. Online at https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html (a CRA or Service Canada account is required);
2. Over the phone through an automated phone service: 1-800-959-2019 or 1-800-959-2041.
Both of these services are available 21 hours a day, 7 days a week. These services are closed for maintenance from 3-6 am (ET).
- Residing in Canada, at least 15 years old;
- Have stopped working because of reasons related to COVID-19 or are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits or have exhausted their Employment Insurance regular benefits between December 29, 2019 and October 3, 2020;
- Had employment and/or self-employment income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and,
- Have not quit their job voluntarily.
When submitting your first claim, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for 14 or more consecutive days within the four-week benefit period of your claim.
When submitting subsequent claims, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for the entire four-week benefit period of your new claim.
Information on how to apply for CERB:
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit Application Walk-Through by CSI Toronto: https://socialinnovation.org/csi-supports-cerb-application-walk-through/.
- Information on various assistance programs (including how to apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit) from Brian Borts CPA, CA: https://brianborts.com/important-information-on-covid-19/#.