Mental Health First Aid Training
Register for our upcoming courses
Participants must be available on both dates to complete the course in its entirety. Registration normally closes 2 weeks before the start of the course.
What is mental health first aid?
Mental health first aid is the support provided to a person who may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis.
Most people are familiar with CPR and know what to do when they are faced with a cardiac emergency. However, would you know what to do if you were faced with someone having a mental health emergency? Now more than ever, it can be vital to understand the signs and symptoms of someone in a mental health crisis and know how to help.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Virtual Training Course
The course was developed by the Mental Health Commission of Canada. During the course, the participants will learn how to:
- Recognize signs that a person may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis.
- Find and reach out to professional and other supports that could help with recovery to improved mental well-being.
- Assist in a mental health or substance use crisis.
- Use MHFA actions to maintain one’s own mental well-being.
- 8 hours of instruction: 2 hours of self-directed study, plus two 3-hour virtual classroom sessions.
- Self-study Online Module 1: access link will be sent to course participants by email after their registration has been processed but not later than 2 weeks before the course start date.
- Virtual Classroom Modules 2 and 3: delivered via Zoom during the dates indicated below.
The cost to participate in the course is $200 per participant.
Course fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. Participants must take the course on the dates they have registered for.
Limited subsidized spots are available – please get in touch with us directly at email@example.com if the cost of the course is prohibitive. We would like to make sure everyone who needs the training can access it. Subsidized spots are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Active IATSE Members and those working under IATSE agreements may be eligible for reimbursement through the IATSE Training Trust Fund Certification Reimbursement Program upon proof of payment and successful completion of The AFC Mental Health First Aid Course.